How writing kind letters is changing my life


I used to loathe writing more than a few sentences at a time by hand. But when I decided to send a few kind, hand-written letters to family and friends, I had no idea how much I would come to enjoy it, let alone how much it would begin to transform my life for the better.

What got me started

Before I discovered minimalism and started making a concerted effort to rid my life of excess, I was on a bit of a "retro" kick, as I am wont to do from time to time. I am fascinated with time-tested technology and ways of doing things, especially if they are considered outdated, antiquated, or unnecessary by today's standards. I occasionally feel the urge to try out and explore these ancient and mysterious ways, myself, and reach my own conclusions as to whether or not they should be thrown in the dustbin of history.

One day, towards the end of last month, I decided I was going to do something unheard of in this day and age - write a letter by hand, put it in an envelope, and mail it to someone.

But not just any letter. I wanted the recipient to read my letter and feel happier for having read it. I wanted them to know that someone was thinking of them and cared for them.

So on the way home from work one day, I went in search of writing stationery and envelopes. My local Walmart had envelopes, but no stationery. Apparently stationery is not on the average Walmart customer's shopping list. Macey's (a local grocery store) didn't have stationery, either, but it did have a "writing tablet" with tear-out pages. That would suffice.

I needed a good pen, too. I'm left-handed, so no ordinary pen would do. Pilot G-2 gel pens have always worked really well for me, so I purchased some blue ones. Blue ink has long been my preference.

That evening, I wrote my first hand-written letter in years and mailed it the next morning. Later that day I wrote another letter and mailed that. The day after that I wrote and mailed another.

I have written at least one letter each of the past 24 days. They say that it takes 21 consecutive days of doing something to make it a habit, so I guess it's official a habit now. And I consider it one of the best habits I've had in a long time because of the tremendous value it has added to my life.

Minimalism and letter writing

I started writing letters before I found and embraced the concept of minimalism. When I discovered minimalism - this radical idea that excess STUFF is only getting in the way of what is most important to us - it seemed to help me clarify and put into words the changes I was already attempting to implement in my life.

For me, writing letters complements and inspires my new-found desire to declutter and simplify my life.

The benefits

It's intentional. Writing a kind letter forces you to tune out trivial distractions. It impels you to focus your thoughts and attention on the task at hand and, most importantly, on the person or persons to whom you are writing. And it provides an opportunity for the recipient to do something intentional, too. It takes deliberate effort to write a letter, and it also takes effort to read one.

It's selfless. When you write a kind letter to someone else - especially with the intent to uplift and encourage - you are turning your mental focus outward instead of inward. You are giving of yourself. You are setting aside your own desires, needs, and wants for a moment and focusing on those of another. And the very nature of letter writing means you understand that there's no way to know if your letter will ever be read or whether you will ever receive a reply or acknowledgement. But you don't expect anything in return. Writing a kind letter is its own reward.

It's a powerful force for good. Sometimes you do hear back from the people you write. What feedback I have received has been overwhelmingly positive. It's absolutely amazing the power a kind letter can have to encourage, inspire, and uplift a person. A piece of paper with handwriting on it can completely transform their attitude and perspective. Kind letters can change the world.

It's a personal experience. There's nothing wrong with sending a kind text, email, or social media post to someone to brighten their day. We should all do this more! But even if there is genuine intention and meaning behind digital communication - even if it is acknowledged and appreciated by the recipient - it can quickly be lost and forgotten in a deluge of texts, emails, social media, videos, notifications, news, weather, and everything else the average person allows themselves to be bombarded with on a daily basis.

By contrast, isn't it a treat to check the mail and see something addressed to you besides a bill, magazine, or junk mail? When someone receives a kind, hand-written letter from you, they understand that you took time out of your day to think about them, write that letter, put it in an envelope, put a stamp on it, and put it in the mail. Your personality comes through in your handwriting and in the flow of your words and phrases. Maybe they realize, as they feel the texture of the paper while they read, that they are holding in their hands the very same paper that you wrote on and held in your own hands as you carefully folded it and put it in the envelope. Even the smell of the ink and paper adds a little something to this uniquely personal and powerful experience of receiving a kind letter from another human being, especially if that human being is someone you care for deeply.

It's illuminating. I truly believe that writing kind letters to others has helped me see and understand things I would have ignored or missed otherwise. It has ripped my attention away from screens, distractions, and self-absorbed activities just long enough for the fog of impulsivity and routine to start lifting from my mind. I have had a desire to examine my life, to be more intentional with my time, to determine what is truly meaningful and important to me, to identify excess (STUFF in my life that is getting in the way of what is most important to me), and to rid my life of that excess.

Suggestions for your own kind letter campaign

Remove distractions. If possible, find a quiet, distraction-free place to write. Easier said than done, I know. In my case, I usually have to wait until late in the evening at home or take a break at work to write my letters. Turn off the TV or go to a room where there is no TV. Turn off or silence the computer, laptop, tablet, and/or cell phone and get them out of arm's reach.

Be consistent. You don't have to write a letter every day like me, but the more frequently you do, the more transformative it can be. It hasn't always been easy for me to write a letter daily. Some days I struggle to figure out who or what to write. But I always find someone. Whether you write once a day, once a week, or once a month, just be consistent.

Be kind. Tell people how special they are. Tell them of the good you see in them. If they've done something that has added value to your life, tell them. If you admire them, tell them so and tell them why. If you love them, tell them so and tell them why. Inspire. Encourage. Uplift.

Be you. It has to be genuine for the magic to work. Write from the heart. Add your personal touches. Let your personality shine through. And don't write anything you don't truly mean.

Don't wait. You don't need classy stationery, fancy envelopes, or a nice fountain pen. Just get some paper, an envelope, and something to write with. And get some stamps. You'll definitely need those. Think of someone to write to and write that letter today. Mail it as soon as possible. Even if it's just a paragraph or two, it can make all the difference in his/her life - and in yours.

Write me

I would love to receive a kind letter or postcard from you! I promise I will do my best to return the favor.

Here's my mailing address:

Dallin Crump
USU Box 1278
Logan, UT 84322

Comments

Popular Posts