The end of my smartphone obsession


This unassuming little box (you can't really tell in the picture but it's pretty small) represents the end of a dark era.

It contains the very last of my once large phone collection. At its peak, my collection probably totaled more than 20 separate devices ranging from old "dumbphones" to modern smartphones. Before I discovered minimalism I had already pared my collection down quite a bit. But over the past couple weeks I have given away or donated the rest.

After I ship this box to a friend today, I will have only one cell phone - the one I'm currently using on a daily basis. Many of you will chuckle at this. After all, don't most people only have one cell phone? But this is a very significant accomplishment for me.

For years I have obsessed over smartphones. They are truly amazing devices that empower us to do so much! As a child I watched Star Trek: The Next Generation and dreamed about having a computer in the palm of my hand. Today that dream is a reality!

For me, one phone was never enough. But I finally understand now that 20+ were never enough, either. I call it an obsession, but if I am truly honest with myself, it was more than that. It was a very real addiction. At one point, I was switching between phones on almost a weekly basis. I got a rush from trying something new, exploring the hardware and software of each new device, and telling everyone how awesome it was. But soon, the excitement and novelty would wear off and I would look for my next fix.

I have put so much time, money, and energy into acquiring smartphones, discussing them with fellow fans in online message boards, posting about them in social media, reviewing them, making videos about them, taking pictures of them. And that's not including the time I've spent actually using them. The times when I was at social gatherings and would use my phone as an excuse not to talk to people. The times when I would check Facebook every few minutes hoping for the dopamine rush of tapping through unread notifications. The times when I was tucked away in a dark corner of my house playing Candy Crush or scouring Amazon and eBay for deals on phones while I ignored my family and life in general.

As I continue my "digital decluttering" and I look through my photos, I realize I have taken many photos of the phones I have owned, yet I have taken relatively few photos of loved ones or truly meaningful moments in my life. And that makes me terribly sad.

Today I take back control of my technology and vow to try every day to remain vigilant so that it does not control me.

If you are struggling with a technology-related obsession (or addiction), The Minimalists have some practical ways to help you deal with that and regain control. I recommend listening to Podcast 002 | Technology. I also recommend reading Most Emergencies Aren't.

Comments

Popular Posts