A journey to living with less


I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

I was playing my favorite video game last evening and it suddenly hit me: this doesn't add any value or meaning to my life. Sure, it's fun and entertaining. But what do I have to show for it? What has it contributed to my personal development, character, or spirituality? What has it done for my family? Will my obituary include all of my achievements in this game?

Aside from some meaningful bonding time with my brothers playing the game together online, I can honestly say this game has been a net drain on my life.

It's an addiction

Over the past 6 years since I first discovered this game, I have spent nearly 1,400 hours of my life playing it. A new player would have to play it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for nearly 2 months to match my playing time.

I have played it so much that my brain actually craves it. I'm clearly addicted to it. And I feel like it's time for me to grow up a little bit, break this addiction, and find more worthwhile sources of entertainment and relaxation.

The reason I had this epiphany about my gaming habits is because I have recently taken an interest in minimalism.

Discovering minimalism

I have been aware of the minimalist movement for some time, but only in the past couple of weeks have I really started looking into it and realizing that hey, there might be some worthwhile things I could take away from this and implement in my own life.

I'm learning that there are a lot of misconceptions about minimalism. No, it's not about living with less than 100 objects. No, it's not about living like a hermit.

People who consider themselves minimalists may very well use those definitions, but minimalism is much, much broader than that and means different things to different people.

The general concept behind minimalism - at least from my perspective at this point in time - is that we can actually do more with less. Less possessions, less distractions, less of anything that detracts from life rather than enriches it. As we learn to identify and unburden ourselves with unimportant stuff, we have more time and resources to focus on things that are important.

Minimalism isn't about living with nothing. It's about living.

First steps

I have already begun purging my life of things I never use. I started with clothing. Not that I had a lot to begin with. I can count on one hand the times per year I shop for clothing for myself. But I still got rid of about a third of the clothes hanging in my closet along with some from my dresser. Then I raided my "tech bins". I am a "technology geek" and I've had several plastic organizer drawers full of tech-related stuff for years.

This week I donated 6 old cell phones to Verizon's HopeLine program, which provides support for victims of domestic abuse. I also donated a couple of old computer monitors and a bag of miscellaneous tech items to Deseret Industries, where I had also dropped off my unneeded clothing the week before. I have 2 more bags full of "tech stuff" in the trunk of my car ready to donate.

And, for me, getting rid of "stuff" also includes mental decluttering. I'm trying to be more effective at managing my time and replace bad habits and activities that add little or no value to my life with good habits and worthwhile activities.

I am also rethinking the way I work and interact with technology, which I openly recognize has been a huge drain on my time and a detriment to my emotional and physical well being, and of which gaming has only been the tip of the iceberg.

I can tell you this much - the little I've been able to accomplish over this past week has already started to make a notable impact on my life and overall attitude. Letting go of "stuff" is very liberating.

Onward

This is only the beginning. A minimalist lifestyle is not something that most people are able to implement in their lives over night. Each person determines for him or herself what his or her minimalist lifestyle should look like and it can take some time and effort to make that happen.

The key is to keep at it. And that's what I intend to do.

I'll be sharing my experiences with you along the way right here at Living With Less. Please follow this blog for updates!

Comments

Popular Posts