Tools


Many of the objects we surround ourselves with are tools that can add tremendous convenience and value to our lives. But too many of us are allowing ourselves to be used by our tools.

Tools are just that. Tools. It is how we use them that makes all the difference.

Any tool can be used to accomplish good and worthwhile things. It can also be used for bad and meaningless purposes. I can use a hammer to nail together pieces of wood to make a bookshelf or help repair my neighbor's porch. I can use that same hammer to break a window or even physically harm another person.

But if we are not careful, our tools can use us.

How can we tell if we have become the tools of our tools? If we are using them compulsively instead of intentionally - out of habit rather than for a specific purpose - our tools are using us.

You can ask this simple question about anything:
Am I using it or is it using me?
Am I using my smartphone or is my smartphone using me?

Am I using my TV or is my TV using me?

Am I using Netflix or is Netflix using me?

Am I using Facebook or is Facebook using me?

Am I using my car or is my car using me?

Am I using exercise or is exercise using me?

Am I using video games or are video games using me?

Am I using books or are books using me?

The questions and answers will be different for everyone. And we have to be honest with ourselves or it won't motivate us to change.

It is possible to stop being tools of your tools, but it's rarely easy. You have to have want to change and be willing to do whatever it takes - even temporarily or permanently ridding your life of the STUFF that is controlling you, no matter how useful it may be when used properly. Sometimes you will need help or support from friends or loved ones.

As I continue to rid my life of STUFF and make sure I'm using my tools and not the other way around, I feel happier, freer, and more peaceful. Living intentionally takes daily effort, but it's so worth it.

We don't have to be the tools of our tools.

Also read: A Minimalist Approach to TechnologyDoes This Add Value to My Life?, Owning Less, Intentionality, and Living Your Best Life Possible

Comments

Popular Posts