One way to use up the remaining balance on prepaid gift cards


Have you struggled to figure out what to do with those prepaid gift cards that only have a dollar or two left on them? I discovered a solution that worked well for me.

Prepaid gift cards look like and can be used like any normal credit card. As I have continued the process of purging my life of STUFF I don't want or need, I found several unexpired VISA gift cards with small remaining balances. Adding up all the amounts totaled almost $20, and I didn't want to throw that money in the trash if I didn't have to.

Thankfully, I found out that Amazon allows you to transfer prepaid gift card balances of at least $0.50 to your Amazon Gift Card balance! All you have to do is add the cards as payment methods under your account and you can use them to replenish your gift card balance. Once the replenishment transactions are complete, you can remove the cards from your account.

This will work with VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover prepaid gift cards.

Most prepaid cards require that you register them through a website (usually found in the fine print on the back of the card) in order to use them. Make sure your address is updated on all your registration profiles, as the transaction may be rejected if the ZIP code of the payment address you provide doesn't match the ZIP code on the registration profile.

Amazon did not charge me any transaction fees for these transfers.

I wish I had found this solution sooner. I've kept these cards in a drawer for years!

This is a great, easy way to consolidate those prepaid gift card balances so you can put that money towards things or experiences that add value to your life.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT being paid or compensated to promote Amazon or any other brand, product, or service. If I do mention specific brands, products, or services in a positive way it's because I find them useful and valuable as I pursue a minimalist lifestyle.

Comments

Popular Posts